Backdating housing benefit claims

To claim Housing Benefit you need to fill in an application form.

We have an online form or alternatively you can:-Please note that by a partner we mean a person you are married to or a person you live with as if you are married to them, or a civil partner or a person you live with as if you are civil partners.

Council Tax Reduction - If you're on a low income and need financial help to pay all or part of your council tax bill, you may be able to get Council Tax Reduction.

The Council wants everyone who would qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction to claim the help they are entitled to receive.

The payments for Housing Benefit​​ ​are made 4 weekly in arrears.

If you are not happy with our decision about your claim for Housing Benefit, you can make an appeal by contacting our Benefits team via email to [email protected] or ringing 01452 396483.

This will affect any claims and requests for backdated housing benefit made on or after 1 April 2016.Help is available for anyone who needs assistance with making a claim.It is important to claim straight away as any delay may result in the loss of benefit.Most people who are citizens of EU countries and who are ‘workers’ are entitled to benefit, however, the rules are complex.If you are having trouble paying your rent or council tax and are not sure if you are eligible for help, make a claim.​More information can be found through the Citizens Advice Bureau. If you and your partner have over £16,000 in savings and investments you will not qualify for any help towards your rent or Council Tax unless you are in receipt of a state pension guarantee credit.We cannot pay your benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for.To make sure your Housing Benefit starts from the earliest date possible, you should contact us as soon as you need benefit to tell us that you plan to claim.For further information please see the section on Pension Credits (link to pension credit info on Benefits advice).If you and your partner are under 60, we do not count the first £6,000 of your savings and investments, and for every £250 over this level we will add £1 to your income.Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income.The amount of housing benefit due to you is worked out by looking at: Housing Benefit is affected if somebody is a Student or self-employed or a person from abroad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

One thought on “backdating housing benefit claims”