Local dating sights trial site for dating
Where the going was more difficult, these would be closer together.
The first outspan was in Salt River and the next in Potsdam.
Stadler Road Most of the original cottages of Bloubergstrand were built alongside the track that became Stadler Road.
Ons Huisie, Stadler Road, erf 697 “Ons Huisie”, as it is now known, was in all probability the original hone of Fredrick Louis Stadler.
It is unclear, however, when exactly it ceased being used as an outspan.
There was a series of outspans all the way along the old road from Cape Town to Saldanha Bay.
THE POTSDAM OUTSPAN The Potsdam Outspan was located in the area of the present-day intersection of Potsdam, Koeberg and Blaauwberg Roads and was used as an overnight resting place for farmers on their way to and from Cape Town.
TREE LINED AVENUE The Map of The Cape Division (1901) shows tracks running in a north-south direction across Hartebeest Kraal (now Atlantis), from Blomboschfotein and the south-western end of Dassenberg northwards to Mamre.The house is relatively intact and is a fine representative of buildings in Bloubergstrand of the time.The Blue Peter Hotel and restaurant, 8 Popham Street, erf 12 This building is a much-extended and modified version of one of the earliest houses in the area.THE MAMRE OUTSPAN The historic werf at Mamre was the Groenkloof outpost.Travellers through the kloof would have outspanned on this werf.The six pounder canon is still in its original position near the peak of the hill on Klein Paardeberg, 5km east of Atlantis.Atlantis Township and industrial area Atlantis was built between 19 to accommodate part of the anticipated overflow of the “coloured” population of Cape Town, in accordance with the provisions of the Group Areas Act which enforced the residential separations of South Africans according to race.It was later converted into a house and remains in private ownership.Dutch Reformed Church, 3 Batavia Road, erf 94 The land on which this church stands was purchased for a Dutch Reformed in 1925. An interesting feature of the house is the use of large, locally made, concrete blocks with a high shell content.It is uncertain when the house was built, but Thomas Bowler visited and made a drawing of it in 1853.In 1969 Ons Huisie was restored and the first restaurateur tenants took occupation. Killa Lime Kilns (along the road between Melkboschstrand and Bloubergstrand) These two lime kilns, although built in the 1940’s were built in the same way as those built by Jan van Riebeeck in 1653 and operated in the same way, burning sea shells for building lime.